By Fiona McMurran, South Niagara Chapter, Council of Canadian, and Terry Nicholls,
With grateful thanks to Rick Alakas, Malcolm Allen, Tim Clutterbuck, Cindy Forster, and Karrie Porter
Once know as the bustling industrial heartland of Niagara, “where rails and water meet”, Welland has now become the city that free trade left behind.
First settled in 1788 by United Empire Loyalists, Welland was the site of the second-to-last battle of the War of 1812, when Canadian troops defeated an American raiding party at the Battle of Cook’s Mills in east Welland, on October 19, 1814. The Americans retreated back to Buffalo after an intense skirmish.