On May 3, folks from Northumberland and Peterborough counties concerned about climate change gathered in front of Victoria Hall to take part in “Climate Strike” rallies. Read more: Local Citizens Rally for Action on Climate Change, Cobourg Now, May 7, 2019
The Montreal Chapter hosted a book launch of Fear, Love, and Liberation in Contemporary Quebec by Alexa Conradi on April 17, 2019
#CouncilChapters continue to support and attend #ClimateStrike events in solidarity. If you haven’t already, take a minute to tell your MP to support the student #ClimateStrike.
#CouncilChapters help put campaigns and social and economic justice issues in the spotlight in communities across the country. Chapter activists continue to be busy protecting public health care and water, challenging unfair trade deals, calling for urgent and immediate action on climate change, and to standing up for democracy. Here are just a few examples of their recent actions...
If you are interested in joining a Council of Canadians chapter near you, please check out our Chapter Contacts, call us toll-free at 1-800-387-7177, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We can also help you start a chapter if there isn’t one in your community.
- Kamloops: 44th Annual Walk for Peace, May 11, 2019 - 11:00am
- Margaree Forks: Climate Change Discussions & Environmental Film Festival, May 11, 2019 - 3:00pm
- Windsor: The Great Lakes Fishery discussion, May 13, 2019 - 6:00pm
- Charlottetown: Our Climate Crisis and the Green New Deal, May 15, 2019 - 4:00pm
- Red Deer: The Planet is Changing. Why Aren't We? May 25, 2019 - 2:00pm—
- Margaree Forks: Climate Change Discussions & Environmental Film Festival, May 25, 2019 - 3:00pm
- Prince Albert: Democracy Event, May 28, 2019 - 7:00pm
Chapters in the news
- Citizens Rally for Action on Climate Change, Cobourg Now, May 7, 2019
- Carbon tax challenge intervenors split on court ruling, CKOM News Talk Sports (press release) (blog), May 6, 2019 Jim Elliott with the Council of Canadians, another one of the intervenors, said the Government of Saskatchewan sought out a court decision and should now ...
- How Nova Scotia can move forward from 300 years of coal and fossil fuel extraction, The Coast Halifax, May 8, 2019
- Sask. carbon tax challenge: Court of Appeal rules in favour of federal government, Regina Leader-Post, May 3 2019
- Indigenous women in Peterborough area demand an end to sex discrimination in Indian Act, Globalnews.ca, May 7, 2019
- Community briefs: Walk for Peace, attend some plant sales and register your bike, Kamloops This Week, May 7, 2019
- Letter to the editor: City has to back up climate emergency declaration, Nanaimo News Bulletin, May 8, 2019
- Premier, feds, Sask. residents react to carbon tax court decision, The Telegram, May 5, 2019
- Climate change talk May 25 at Red Deer's Snell Auditorium, Red Deer Advocate, May 8, 2019
- Jericho House becomes 49th Blue Community!
- Pact for a Green New Deal unites fights vs. climate & inequality crises
Help amplify #CouncilChapters online!
Here are a few recent highlights online – reTweet, share, like & follow!