The Canadian Press reports today in numerous newspapers (including the Globe and Mail) that, "The controversy over site 41 now has environmental activist and former U.S. presidential candidate Ralph Nader appealing to Ontario's premier to halt construction on the landfill project."
"In a passionate letter to Dalton McGuinty dated Thursday, Nader said he was surprised at the fervent local protests against the dump being constructed about 40 kilometres northwest of Barrie, Ont."
"Nader, a long-time advocate for green causes, asked McGuinty not to rush to dump 'putrid waste' atop the Alliston aquifer, which is said to house the most pristine source of groundwater in the world. Nader made a surprise trip to the site last week and dug into McGuinty for not listening more closely to the vehement protests of those opposing the site."
"He said he'd like to see a one year moratorium on the site so that the pros and cons of the construction could be re-examined."
"Nader (also) urged McGuinty to use site 41 as an opportunity to create a leading zero-waste community."