URGENT: The Struggle for land, water, and justice in Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI)
In December, God’s Lake Resources Inc., a Toronto-based mining company, that has staked claims on traditional Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI) territory said they would begin exploration drilling this winter in areas that the KI First Nation believes to contain sacred burial grounds. Drilling may begin any day in the next few months. The community is asking for help to defend their lands and water.
What you can do:
1) Sign the petition at http://kilands.org/tell-mcguinty-to-respect-ki-sacred-landscape/ telling McGuinty to respect KI homeland. Other ideas for individuals and organizations to take action are at www.KIlands.org.
2) Email or call your local MP or write a letter to the editor expressing your public support and demand that the Ontario Government.
- Ensure that God’s Lake Resources stops mining exploration on KI sacred landscape and that a joint panel process is set up to avoid future conflict.
- Recognize and respect KI’s Water Declaration and Consultation Protocol and begin negotiations with KI on recognizing KI’s governance of the local watershed and resources.
- Respect KI’s moratorium on all logging, mining exploration, and industrial activity unless and until there is agreement through the KI Consultation Protocol.
3) Join the facebook page: www.facebook.com/TorontoKISupport.
4) If you are in the Toronto area and are available to attend or spread the word about emergency actions in Toronto please email firstname.lastname@example.org.