The Northumberland chapter of the Council of Canadians invites you to attend their Annual General Meeting on Wednesday, March 20.
When: Wednesday, March 20 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: 600 William Street, Cobourg (Map)
Before the AGM, Ralph Torrie, recipient of the Canadian Environment Silver Award for his work on climate change and our guest speaker for the evening, will lead an informative presentation on climate change. Some of the questions he will ask you to consider include:
- Why the approaches we have been taking have not had the impact that is needed to avoid dangerous climate change?
- What are the options for re-framing our strategy to address the circumstances we now face, with 2 degrees or more all but inevitable?
- What are the threats to and the opportunities for peace and social justice in “a hothouse world”?
- Will the existential crisis presented by dangerous climate change increase our understanding and appreciation of our interdependence, or will it be a scramble for the lifeboats?
- Global warming, and the environmental crisis more generally are fundamentally social justice issues. Are there positive, possible solutions in the Canadian ethos, and can they be invoked in time?
Please bring your questions and creative ideas to this meeting. Everyone is welcome – feel free to bring a friend!
The Northumberland Chapter has openings on its executive, so if you are interested or wish to nominate someone, please email email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing you on March 20!