The pandemic has exposed and entrenched the deep inequities of our existing economic system and opened a pathway to leave these injustices behind.
We need a just recovery that puts people first, instead of corporate elites.
The Council of Canadians is part of a groundswell of hundreds of organizations demanding a just recovery for all. These principles unite people, organizations, communities and movements by calling for changes to:
- Put people’s health and well-being first, no exceptions.
- Strengthen the social safety net and provide relief directly to people.
- Prioritize the needs of workers and communities.
- Build resilience to prevent future crises.
- Build solidarity and equity across communities, generations and borders.
- Uphold Indigenous rights and work in partnership with Indigenous Peoples.
We can’t go back to normal; we must find a better way. It’s not just you and me who think this – this perspective has majority support. Seventy-three per cent of Canadians expect a “broad transformation of society.” But how do we make it happen?
What you can do
Call for a just recovery plan and let your MP know you want a real just recovery that puts people and communities first.
Send a letter to the editor opposing fossil fuel bailouts being included in government recovery plans.
Help build a Just Recovery and a Green New Deal in your community.