I pledge to support publicly-owned and delivered water by drinking tap water instead of bottled water for the following reasons:
- Water is a human right and a public resource;
- Canada has one of the best public drinking water systems in the world and municipal tap water is safer, healthier and more regulated than bottled water;
- Bottled water requires massive amounts of fossil fuels to manufacture and transport, and it takes three to five litres of water to produce a one litre plastic bottle of water;
- Bottled water companies use municipal water sources, groundwater and surface water, when over one-quarter of Canadian municipalities have faced water shortages in recent years;
- Bottled water creates excessive amounts of physical waste when communities in Canada face a waste management crisis.