Power Up Day of Action EVENTS
This month, people from coast to coast to coast are rising up to send a clear message to our political leaders: it’s time to Power Up climate solutions.
20 actions took place from coast to coast on November 3 and 4 and another eight are happening in December 2023, along with more than 200 around the world. Here are the upcoming Power Up actions in Canada – times are local:
- Edmonton, AB, November 25 at 11 a.m., Churchill Square: Rally with Climate Justice Edmonton to demonstrate a vision for a renewable future and redirecting governmental fossil fuel spending to a just transition.
- Moncton, NB, November 25 at 11:30 a.m., City Hall Plaza: Rally at City Hall and march to Riverfront Park with the Climate Justice Coalition to call on governments to power up the global renewable energy revolution and distribute resources equitably in New Brunswick and around the world.
- Hamilton, ON, November 25 at 1 p.m., south end of Gore Park: Join the rally to call on governments to use all financial means possible to reclaim the excessive profits of the fossil fuels industry to power up the global renewable energy revolution.
- Surrey, B.C., November 25, 4 p.m. at Bombay Banquet Hall, 7475 135 Street: Iron and Earth Community Pathways Event, small-group discussions about the changing economy, particularly the shift away from oil and gas.
- Kingston, ON, December 1 at 11 a.m., Royal Bank of Canada, corner of Princess & King Street: Join Seniors for Climate Action Now! to demand RBC stop funding fossil fuel projects like the Coastal GasLink Pipeline through Wet’suwet’en territory.
- Halifax, NS, December 2 at 12 p.m., Andy Fillmore’s office, 1888 Brunswick Street: Rally to call on governments to redistribute fossil fuel wealth to support workers and communities in a just transition to a post-carbon economy.
Go to this map to connect with local organizers. Please note that the map is being updated, so the information may change. The best way to stay up to date on local events is to register and be in direct contact with local organizers.
As part of the global Power Up month of action, Ottawa residents gathered in front of Parliament and called on the federal government to accelerate the transition to renewable energy. Photo Credit: Craig Conoley
London Chapter action November 4th 2023.
As part of the global Power Up month of action, Montreal residents used street theatre and creative visuals to make the case for getting gas off the grid and ushering in the renewable energy era. Photo Credit: Nhattan Nguyen
As part of the global Power Up month of action, youth, seniors, and workers came together outside Toronto City Hall to promote the campaign for a Youth Climate Corps and imagine a renewable energy future with Good Green Jobs for All. Photo Credit: Sarah Hassanein
These actions, and the many others that are taking place from coast to coast, couldn’t have come at a more important time. Conservative politicians and right wing interests across Canada are fighting against critical pieces of legislation for climate, workers, and communities, and creating more barriers in the way of renewable energy development and a post-carbon future.
Worst of all, fossil fuel companies and their allies in office are claiming that a green energy transition will worsen the affordability crisis. This is a lie. Renewable energy technology is getting cheaper everyday and recent reports have confirmed that heat pumps are the most cost efficient way to heat and cool homes.
Together, we can turn the tide to a post-carbon future.
If you want to get started on building the Power Up Day of Action in your community, you can download this organizing toolkit. The kit includes resources, ideas for designing your local action, and upcoming trainings we’re co-hosting with our friends at 350 Canada.