As the oil and gas industry gathers in Saint John for the Atlantic Energy Summit, a counter-summit will take place to challenge the agenda and present a vision for a sustainable Atlantic energy future.
Energy for Everyone: A summit beyond pipelines and shale gas will include a public forum on the growing opposition to shale gas and the Energy East pipeline, featuring Maude Barlow, National Chairperson of the Council of Canadians. A protest at the site of the Atlantic Energy Summit during Premier David Alward’s keynote address will also take place.
WHEN: Wednesday, October 2 to Friday, October 4, 2013
WHERE: Saint John, New Brunswick (specific locations are noted below)
WHY: “Fracked gas, tar sands pipelines and nuclear energy aren’t the future—they’re the past. The Atlantic Energy Summit promotes this extreme energy to industry insiders,” says Leticia Adair, board member of the Council of Canadians based in Saint John. “Energy for Everyone brings people together to learn and organize for the sustainable Atlantic energy future we deserve.”
WHO: Sponsored by the Council of Canadians, Common Causes Saint John, CCNBAction, and Atlantic Canada Sustainable Energy Coalition.
ENERGY FOR EVERYONE EVENT DETAILS
Free public panel discussion: Moving beyond the Energy East pipeline and shale gas towards a sustainable Atlantic energy future
- October 2 at 7 p.m., at the Hatheway Pavilion (at Lily Lake)
- Featuring: Maude Barlow, National Chairperson of the Council of Canadians; Alma Brooks, a member of the Maliseet Grand Council from Saint Mary's First Nation; and Catherine Abreu, Regional Coordinator with the Atlantic Canada Sustainable Energy Coalition.
Workshops on TransCanada's Energy East pipeline, fracked gas, nuclear energy and a sustainable Atlantic energy vision
- October 3 from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. at the Church of St. Andrew and St. David (164 Germain St.)
- October 4 from 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at the New Brunswick Museum (1 Market Square)
Energy for Everyone Rally
- October 3 at 12:00 p.m.
- Begins outside of Church of St. Andrew and St. David.
- While Premier David Alward gives his keynote address at the Atlantic Energy Summit, the counter-summit will take to the streets to demand change and show that another energy vision is possible.
Full event details will be available at http://canadians.org/energy-summit.
– 30 –